Navigating Medicare and Durable Medical Equipment: A Comprehensive Guide

Medicare DME Billing services

Welcome to our insightful guide on understanding Medicare and Durable Medical Equipment (DME). In this blog post, we’ll break down the key information from a video that sheds light on the intricacies of Medicare coverage for various equipment designed to assist with daily living activities.

Durable Medical Equipment (DME) and Medicare Coverage

DME plays a crucial role in helping individuals manage their daily activities, including getting in and out of bed, bathing, using the toilet, and eating. However, it’s important to note that not all types of DME qualify for Medicare coverage. To be eligible, the equipment must be durable, serve a medical purpose, be suitable for home use, and have an expected lifespan of three years or more.

Examples of DME covered by Medicare include wheelchairs, walkers, hospital beds, power scooters, and portable oxygen equipment. Additionally, prosthetics, orthotics, and certain medical supplies fall under the umbrella of covered equipment.

Exclusions from Medicare Coverage

Understanding what Medicare does not cover is equally crucial. Equipment primarily used outside the home, items designed for convenience or comfort (such as stairway elevators, grab bars, air conditioners, and toilet seats), and disposable items not associated with equipment (like incontinence pads, surgical facemasks, and compression leggings) are excluded from coverage.

Conditions for Medicare Coverage

Securing Medicare coverage for DME Billing services involves meeting two essential conditions. First, your primary care provider must sign an order, prescription, or certificate. Second, the prescription must be taken to an approved supplier, recognized by Original Medicare or your Medicare
Advantage Plan.

It’s worth noting that the process may vary for manual or power wheelchairs or scooters, necessitating direct consultation with your primary care provider.

Costs and Coverage under Medicare

Under most circumstances, Medicare Part B covers 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for DME after the Part B deductible is met. Beneficiaries are responsible for the remaining 20% coinsurance. Finding an approved Medicare supplier is crucial, and the official Medicare website ( is a valuable resource for locating such suppliers.

It’s important to be aware that some Medicare-approved suppliers may not “take assignment,” meaning they may charge more than the Medicare-approved amount. In such cases, beneficiaries are responsible for the 20% coinsurance plus any charges above the approved amount.

Medicare Advantage Plan Considerations

For those enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan, specific cost and coverage rules for DME may apply. To obtain detailed information tailored to your plan, it’s recommended to directly contact your plan provider.


Steps to Obtain Medicare-Covered DME
If you find yourself in need of Medicare-covered DME, follow these steps:

  • Work with your primary care provider to obtain a prescription for medically necessary DME.
  • Contact Medicare or your Medicare Advantage Plan to receive a list of approved DME suppliers in your area.
  • Take your DME prescription to an approved supplier.

Thank you for taking the time to read our comprehensive guide on Medicare and Durable Medical Equipment. For further assistance and details, we encourage you to consult with your healthcare provider or Medicare Advantage Plan. Your well-being is our priority, and we hope this information empowers you to navigate the world of Medicare and DME with confidence.

Ready to navigate Medicare and DME confidently? Explore our guide for insights. For expert assistance and seamless DME billing services, partner with Accqdata. Your well-being matters – take the next step.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *